Saturday, June 27, 2009

Please keep your arms & legs in the car at all times & remain seated until the ride comes to a complete stop


Dad began the day in an grumpy mood, lucky Leigh Ann! But I won't stand for that so the usual Gilchrist sarcasum was unleashed for the remainder if the day. I also felt that I had to step up after hearing Ben tell me that on Tuesdays Ben and Dad enjoy blowing bubbles, cotton candy and ponies. So even in cancer care we prove to be competitive in nature.

Dad's labs were taken by accessing his chest port. Apperantly the hub under the skin has sagged down enough that the nurse hit the wrong spot and Dad's face was that of PAIN. Another nurse and another try and we had some succsess, still pain but at this point as Dad tells us "If they say it won't hurt, it will". The labs showed that Dad is nearly neutropenic
which is the desired effect after receiving chemo and neccessary before the next step in treatment being the harvesting or collecting of Dad's stem cells. This is all great news, but it also means that we have to be more careful then ever because this, as well as after receiving the transplant, are the most prone times Dad will be to an infection invading his body and he is left with virtually no way to fight it off on his own. As I understand it, this would be the time that most patients would require hospitalization. So no handshakes, hugs, germs or as Dad says, moldy cheese!

Dad will remember this as the day of the "CUTE SHOES"! because many nurses made that comment over and over until he finaly spoke up in a loud voice and said "EXCUSE ME, I'M THE ONE WITH CANCER HERE CAN I GET SOME ATTENTION"!

One of Dad's most dreaded places at Huntsman has become radiology were we belive they live by the creedo better late than never. And their schedual reflects this. After Dad is dressed and ready to receive the port in his neck that will be necessary for next weeks extraction of the stem cells, he passes another patient we have meet that just had the same proceedure done. We were assured by this patient and the nurse that this was quick and easy and a "painless"
proceedure and the best part was that if Dad opted not to receive an type of anasthesia he would be able to eat (yes, he had been fasting all day... except for that piece of toast he wasn't suppose to eat) lunch in another 40 minutes or so. So we thought that was a great idea and after all he didn't want to be out done by the patient that said it would be "no biggie". Well again.... If they say it won't hurt, it will. Dad wasn't a happy camper! But we were on to lunch- or- our Daddy daughter date as I call it. I do enjoy spending time with Dad, even if this is how we are doing it these days.

Sometime after getting home while I was being tasked around the house, I noticed that Dad's bandages were becoming more saturated with blood then we had noticed they were before. We called Huntsman and they told us what to do, or not to do and to have him lie down and take it easy. I keept an eye on him, but even as he was laying down bleeding from the jugular, he instructed me on the how to open windows on his computer to check out his work project status and help him to return phone calls. This mans work ethic NEVER ends, something his children have always known.

Dad has another weekend of taking it easy, sponge baths and an appointment at Huntsman early Sunday morning to start checking labs again. This coming week we are looking forward to beginning the long days of stem cell retrieval and more feeling icky. But it's got to get worse before it gets better as we all know.

No comments: