Friday, August 7, 2009

Cancer really sucks!

The first picture is Dad's permanent pose these days. Taken while waiting on platelets at Huntsman this morning (notice he's still wearing one of his Friday fun Hawaiian day shirts). The other I liked only because he's cuddling with the grandkid quilt that Jeri made for Mom and Dad a few years ago. I liked it because it was close to being loved and hugged by his grandkids- who all love and miss him allot these days too.
Today has been a hard day... AGAIN! How difficult it must be for Dad to do this day after day without a break. At least we each get to clock out at the end of our shift and return to a more normal life outside of this house & Huntsman. I can't imagine the pain & anguish he's in, but it seems to be visible in his movements and expressions. This is very difficult for me and I'm mearly a twice a week caregiver. And not experiencing the pain & sickness he is feeling 24/7 that is suddenly all encompassing in his life right now. I'm thankful when I see him resting and wish he could find peace with more moments like this, unfortunately these are short lived. He is back on the computer and finding strength beyond anything I've seen out of him to get his work done. I don't know were he is hiding his reserves of energy (if you'd even call it that) but he seems to be able to get what he needs done again, another life lesson to his children as we observe the way in which he conducts himself even through the hell that this cancer is right now... or the treatment of it anyway. As a family, we are just holding on to the glimmer of hope that "Dad" & "Papa" & "Sweetie" will return soon. Just as a colorful rainbow after a ravaging storm. Making us all see the beauty in life more brightly each new and thankful day. Enough of me and all of this, We love you dad!
Leigh Ann

1 comment:

Titus Family said...

Steve,

I just heard from Chris and Trish Davis about your cancer. I am actually riding the LOTOJA (Logan To Jackson)Race as a Huntsman Hometown Hero, and raising money for the Huntsman Cancer Institute. I am riding in honor of many who have battled cancer in some way. I would be honored if i could put your name on the back of my jersey along with the others. Please let me know how we can help. We will keep you in our prayers.