I never knew the sound of one word could be so beautiful! He is engrafted. That means all those 6 million stem cells that he was given on July 31 are becoming nice new white, red or platelets. It means that the nasty cells were killed off. We've been asked where the stem cells come from. They were harvested from Steve. He collected 28 million. They'll use about half in two (tandum replacements) and save the other half for future use if needed down the road. We hope it is way, way down the road. They say with this chemo and tandum stem cells, he can have a total remission which is 10 years or greater. If this had happened even 2 years ago, we wouldn't have the options we are now facing. Dr. Tricot worked developing this treatment in Arkansas over the last 20 years, before coming to Huntsman's less than 2 years ago. We are so blessed to live in the best medical community that being Primary Childrens and Huntsman's plus a few others. Thank you, thank you!! While the news is all good, Steve is still feeling pretty awful. So, we still need prayers, well wishers and good thoughts Bonnie Gilchrist |
Monday, August 10, 2009
ENGRAFTMENT
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Terrific news! So glad to hear this. I hope it means he will be bouncing back (as far as he is feeling) very soon.
That is GREAT news. I have never heard that word before either, but it's my new favorite! Steve I hope you are feeling well very soon. And I hope all is well with you and the rest of the family. I miss you, Bonnie! You have all my best wishes coming your way!
Post a Comment