Thursday, November 5, 2009

What a difference a day makes

Dad spent the day on the Bone Marrow Transplant floor at the U of U Hospital. Among the positives to report today: No fever!, nausea controlled, eating & drinking with more ease then before, slushies and a MASSAGE! A massage therapist came around offering Dad a massage and Mom and I tried to explain to him that you NEVER say no to a free massage. Dad was up and showered today and spent much of the day out of bed reading the paper and eating lunch. Life gets pretty boring while convalescing on the BMT floor however and I'm sure he'll be stir crazy in no time. It's great to know that he's getting the attention and care that he needs right now and being watched over better than we can do for him at home.
Among the negatives today: The chemo meds Dad is on are not without their own draw backs and he has been tested by many of them.
We've noticed that the multi-million dollar makeover of the U of U hospital must have been spent in the public spaces because the rooms are not nice and new and shiny. Dad does have an exercise bicycle in his room however for when he feels his strength return and wants to train for the tour de France.
Cultures will need to grow for about 3 days and then we should have a better idea on how long the Dr.s want to keep Dad in his "bubble".
Leigh Ann

1 comment:

Emily said...

I'm leaving you a loving message, daddy...I love you.
I wish I could be there to give you a free massage. I've been thinking about you and praying for you today. I'm glad you look better!